New WASH Integrated Facility for All
People living in the rural areas are prone to water-borne diseases due to the lack of sanitation practices; access to clean water, good drainage system, hygiene awareness. Women living in IDP camps face challenges to have privacy while bathing and not having enough space for washing in the small shelter confinement.
MA-UK has come up with an idea that answers the need of the people: a complete Integrated WASH facility for all. Our facility contains:
· Two Latrines with Pavement: for easier access for disabled, elderly and pregnant women
· Two Private Bathing Rooms: with doors for women
· Washing Area: spacious and with access to clean water from water tank (through taps)
· Street Light: for access at night, powered by solar generator
· Water Tank: solar-powered pump and rain-water catchment enable the water tank to keep it full at all time.
This integrated WASH facility is designed to help venerable people and promote their health and human dignity. While designing this we kept these points in mind,
1. Solar panel for water pumping and security lamp
2. Rain- water catchment when solar does not work or during raining season
3. Design for rural area with low sanitation practice
4. Excellent drainage system
5. Help reducing water-borne diseases
6. Community-own facilities
We are currently constructing 3 Intergrated WASH facilities in host villages in Sittwe, Rakhine State, Myanmar. The progress results have been amazing and we are hoping to hand these over to the communities in few weeks from now!