Clean Water for IDPs and Rural Poor
December 2016 – December 2017
In response to clean-water shortage , MA-UK has built 150 communal hand-pumps in Meikhtila area, Mandalay Region and IDP camps in Sittwe, Rakhine State, funded by MAA(Australia). We targeted the dry areas in Mandalay Region and IDP (Internally Displaced People) camps in Sittwe, Rakhine where clean water is much needed.
We have served clean water to more than 10,ooo people in dry areas and IDP camps.
Our process involved:
- Assessing the need of clean water
- Choosing the location where it would benefit the most
- Negotiating with land owners or government officials to build
- Water testing (drink-ability/lead and other harmful minerals)
- Promoting hygiene awareness to use water
- Promoting ownership awareness as to empower community to take charge of maintenance
For we have involved the community from the beginning of process, it gives them a sense of ownership and brings the community together. We also employed the locals during the construction process to create job opportunities for rural poor, especially for IDPs.